Saturday, May 02, 2009

Climb Every Mountain

I have debated about even doing this blog but it is something that has really affected my life.   Last month my mom was diagnosed with colon cancer.  I absolutely hate cancer! And colon cancer was the killer that took my beloved Grandma Hunt almost 4 years ago.  Even though my mom is starting chemo and the outlook is good it has definately made my mom take a step back from some of her activities.  She decided that her body was telling her to slow down, which means that she is retiring this year.

So-- my mom being the great person that she is, has always helped with the music programs that the elementary puts on.  I think a lot of people would agree with me that for a small town (or for any school) the program is really well done down to the costumes, choreography, and songs.  My sister, Maria, knowing that my mom has talked about wanting a Von Trapp family, convinced Ally to get a number together.  Last night all eight children sang "Climb Every Mountain" as a surprise number at my mom's final concert (at least as a teacher).
A few weeks ago I gave a lesson about our attitudes about our divine roles.  And there was a story about a mom who got sick and she said," I have always been told that 'if you have your health you have everything.'  Today I realized that isn't true, because I have everything and don't have my health. . . . . Many worldly pleasures I will leave behind forever, but my family I will have throughout all eternity."  When I read the story it really hit me and has come to my mind several times since.  I feel truly blessed with my family that I grew up in and also with the one that I am trying to raise.  I only hope that I am worthy of the trust that has been placed in me to fulfill my role in life.  As suggested by the song I am going to follow every rainbow till I find my dream.



8 comments:

Heather said...

Aw Kirsten I am so sorry to hear that. I will pray for you and your family, who I am sure made her so very happy with your surprise song. :)

lil mama said...

I love your mom! and your whole entire family! We talk all the time about how we want to be just like you guys!

We will pray as hard as we can for your mom!

kristal said...

I loved your families von trapp performance. Your mom is lucky to have such loving and talented kids. Seriously if me and my sisters would ahve gotten up there, we would have all lip synced except paula and she'd also be playing the piano...haha! Your mom is fantastic, she'll fight through it! And I agree 5932453% that your mom's musical productions have always been the best thing around here...even back in the day...rainbow connection...good stuff! She's amazing!

bethany said...

Kit-I'm so sorry to hear about your mom! She is so wonderful and I know that your family will be blessed as you go through this trial. We will be praying for her!! Love ya!

Crystal said...

Kit, my heart is breaking for you. Your mom is the best! I have so many good memories of her, and I still think of her often. Thanks for sharing, even though it was hard. And thanks for the perspective. Please let her know that she is in our prayers,(and you are too). Lots of love:) -Crystal

b&d said...

I've been wondering about your mom and how she's doing. She is in our prayers and so are you guys. Take care!

Jana said...

I am so sorry to hear about your mom. She is the greatest, so is your dad. Your mom did an awesome job on all the musicals in Joe City. I also remember Rainbow Connection although I was never a member.Let your parents know they are in our prayers.

The Karafa Family said...

Kit- We have all been praying for your Mom. If anyone is strong enough to fight something like this it is her. I'm sorry I missed your performance!